Your teeth help you to eat effectively and they are also an important part of your appearance. You want your teeth to look good when you smile. If your teeth are not straight, your smile may not look the way you want it to. This can cause you to feel self-conscious and can have a serious adverse effect on your confidence levels. It may also be more difficult for you to maintain a good dental hygiene routine and for you to chew food effectively.
For these reasons, straightening your teeth is important. Different types of braces are used to make this process happen. You need to discuss your options with a dental professional. One of these options is to use removable braces. There are several pros and cons to this option.
Using removable braces – positives and negatives
Removable braces have become more and more popular as they are convenient to use. There are several pros of using these types of braces or aligners, as opposed to fixed braces.
- Removable braces can be taken out when the wearer chooses to remove them, making it easier to eat and to clean teeth.
- Aligners are more discreet to wear than fixed braces which means you are likely to be less self-conscious when you are wearing them.
- There is more flexibility in treatment provided
There are also cons of treatment using removable braces or aligners which need to be considered.
- This type of treatment is often more expensive than the one that uses fixed braces. Costs should be discussed with your orthodontist.
- Although good results can be achieved, there is no guarantee of success when using removable braces.
- The fact that braces are removable means that they are sometimes not worn for a sufficient length of time. It’s easy to simply leave them out when they are removed. This has an adverse effect on the straightening process.
- Aligners are not always suitable for patients who have more complex orthodontic needs.
In many cases, people consider that the pros of removable braces outweigh the cons. This is why they are such a popular choice. However, fixed braces are still the best choice for some people.
Fixed braces as an option
Fixed braces are a traditional means of straightening teeth. They have been used for decades, with a great deal of success. The fixed braces that are used today are available in many forms, including ceramic braces which are less visible than the traditional metal version. For people who have more complex orthodontic needs, fixed braces are often the best choice. This is due to the fact that they offer more support than removable braces.
One of the downsides of fixed braces is that they are often easier to see than removable braces or aligners. This means that people can feel self-conscious about wearing them. Another downside of this type of braces is that wearing them can make it more difficult to clean teeth. If you need to wear fixed braces, you have to put extra effort and thought into brushing your
The choice between using removable braces and fixed braces is often not just down to the pros and cons. You may like the convenience of these types of braces, but you need to be sure that they are the best option for you. If they are not going to straighten your teeth effectively then you may need to consider choosing fixed braces instead. Your orthodontist will discuss your circumstances with you and give you all the advice and support you need to choose the treatment option that suits you best.
Removable Braces at The Neem Tree
At The Neem Tree, we are happy to discuss all orthodontic needs with patients. We will talk to you about whether removable braces are the best choice for you. This includes discussing the treatment process and the costs involved, as well as talking about the potential results that can be achieved. You can get all the advice that you need to understand the best treatment option for you and whether you should have removable braces rather than fixed braces. Make an appointment for an examination and a discussion about teeth straightening treatment.